As I’m writing this I’ve actually nearly hit my 7 month mark of living in Ireland, but this post is to commemorate the first half of my [hopefully] year-long experience here.
In the last 6 months I have:
- Found a place to live (not an easy feat in Dublin, let me tell you)
- Learned a bit of Irish
- Seen a lot of stand-up comedy
- Found a job (or 6). I’ve worked as a receptionist (in a handful of places), auction staff member (on several, usually unplanned, occasions), bartender (for all of one day), call centre employee, and legal secretary.
- Drunk an embarrassing amount of Guinness
- Mastered Dublin’s Public Transport
- heard “Galway Girl” about a million times
- made friends
- eaten fondue
- watched my first hockey game
- attended my first rugby match
- saw an American football game in Dublin (wow who knew I was so into sports?)
- Had an Irish Thanksgiving
- Had an Irish Christmas
- Ate Five Guys twice, and it was glorious both times
- Not left this island…
My goals for the second half of my time here include keeping a job long enough to support myself for the next 5 months, and also to do a road trip around Ireland as well as hopefully visit some other places in Europe. My year of living in Dublin is suddenly more than half-way over and there are still so many things to see and do. Here’s to hoping I can accomplish these things before my visa expires and I’m sent back to America much paler than I was when I left. I really miss the sun.